Friday, May 23, 2008

another class

I went to a newborn care class last night. Tim wasn't able to get out of golf league so I went by myself. It was really helpful. Afterwards, I wished I'd rescheduled for an evening when Tim could come. Basically the nurse went over what would happen in the delivery room immediately after Jack is born. She also went over common things that may seem unusual to first-time parents. I was glad to hear they try to get the baby breastfeeding right away. I was surprised that they have a pretty high-tech security system in place. It's a pretty small hospital so I didn't think they'd have the sensors (they call the Hugs & Kisses) that go off if the baby is taken near a door. They also put bands on mom and dad and two on the baby. When they bring the baby into the room a chime will go off to signal it's the right baby. She also demonstrated how to give a sponge bath and some other things. The only thing I would have liked was for us to get a copy of the handouts she was following throughout the class. It would be helpful to have that to refer to rather than relying simpling on my memory.

No comments: