Sometimes I miss living in C-U. Family was closer, Margaritas was right up the road, work was MUCH closer, Target was just a few minutes away... But then something happens like it did today and I'm glad we are raising Jack in a smaller town.
Last week I was sitting at the kitchen table, working on the computer when I saw a car come to a quick stop in front of the house. A woman popped out and ran around to the back passenger-side door. My first instinct was that someone was misbehaving in the back seat and was going to get in trouble. However after she poked her head inside then pulled back quickly with her hand over her mouth I thought differently. She opened the passenger front door and grabbed a bunch of napkins from the glove box. She returned to the back door and after a moment got sick on the side of the road. I was hesitant to offer any help. You never know how someone is going to react, but it was obvious that she was struggling. I opened the front door and asked if she needed any help. Her 15-month old daughter had gotten sick in the back seat and since she was newly pregnant, the smell was more than she could stand. I ran back inside the house and grabbed a few wet washclothes and a roll of paper towels. She tried to clean her daughter up, but she kept gagging from the smell. I obviously am NOT pregnant because I actually couldn't smell anything. We got her cleaned up the best we could and she was able to get back on the road and head home to properly clean up her sweet little girl.
I relayed the story to Tim when he got home for lunch that afternoon, but had actually forgotten it had happened until today. In the mail was a package with no name, just our address and a return address in T-Town. I had no idea what it could be and wondered as I opened it if someone had found something in our yard and was mailing it back to us (which as I think about it now would make no sense at all. They'd just leave it in our mailbox or on the porch.) Anyhoo, inside the package were some adorable blue washclothes and a note from the woman thanking me for helping her out with her daughter. How sweet and thoughtful is that? And how appropriate that they were washclothes :) She thanked me many times one that day, so she certainly didn't need to send me a note, let alone a gift.
Living in C-U you are sometimes lucky to get a simple thank you for holding the door for someone, but here in good ole southern Illinois people actually go out of their way to say thank you.
Thursday, June 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
That's my girl! Love Ya Hon....
Post a Comment