Tuesday, June 30, 2009

tips

Those of you with kiddos, give me your tips on transitioning from the bottle to the sippy cup as well as from formula to milk. Any advice is MUCH appreciated :).

5 comments:

Erin said...

Try warming the milk before putting it in the sippy cup so it's more like formula. Or do the reverse and give cold formula to transition to cold milk. You can try putting formula in the sippy cup, and slowly make it colder then switching to milk. Also, try Nesquick, it's actually what our ped reccommended. It's what finally worked with Emma. Mackenzie was easy, she didn't care. But Emma was harder. Good luck!

chramy said...

Gosh, it's been awhile, I think we might have had to 3/4 formula and 1/4 milk? And wean down? Rach wouldn't take formula from a sippy cup so I had to do only juice or water or milk in there. And I think we did the warm thing too. or just start serving the formula not as warm to wean him over. Then just switch to milk in sippy and it weans him off the bottle too;)

Sara T said...

Hi Heather - what type of sippy cup are you using? Katie had a time with transition - Abby did not - with Katie we finally got the 1.29 "nuby" brand cup to work from wal mart. They are they ones that are down in the bottom rack - just individual cups - not packaged. And I have heard from about 5 other mom's that this was also the cup that sealed the deal for their child and the switch.
As far as formula to milk - I know again Katie gave us fits with this - Abby did not. We just kept trying milk and eventually she gave in and drank it - i think she was on formula until about 13 months. We actually just kept trying 2% until she finally accepted the milk (because that is what we keep in the house) and when she finally gave in and started drinking it - then i went and bought whole to serve the princess.

Hope this helps - i know how terribly frustrating this stage can be with all the transitions!
Good Luck!

Heather said...

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm going to give everything a try and see what works :). It just seems like we are being told to transition to so many things at once...milk, no bottle, sippy cup, table food only...all by the age of one. Guess I should have started sooner. Oh well, just gotta relax and it'll happen when it happens.

chramy said...

I didn't even start to transition to milk until after she was age 1, then I started and she was close to 13 months before she was totally on it I think. But she had given up the bottle by age 1, that is the one I'd push the most. Get them over to cup now and it's WAYYYYY easier. Never had a problem with any of mine switching over. Just keep offering it. I did find the soft nipple sippies easiest at first and I would still hold them like you are feeding them a bottle but with a sippy if you feed Jack.