Tuesday, June 1, 2010

So Tiny


It's amazing how tiny he looks in the carseat. I know Jack was this small when we brought him home, but it's just hard to believe how tiny they start out. Not that I'm complaining given they way they come into the world!
So we had pretty much the perfect delivery. The only hiccup came when the doctor got a little overzealous with the epidural and caused a bit of a spinal fluid leak. She expalined that there was the possibility of a nasty headache that would last about a week as a result. They could do a blood patch to fix it if needed. I hoped and prayed that I would avoid this, but by 6:30 on Monday evening I was miserable. I asked the nurses about the patch and they contacted the doctor. She asked them to try IV fluids (yay another needle and tape. I'd just gotten all the tape off from the first IV) some caffeine and lying flat until morning. I choked down a regular Coke and a diet Coke and spent the rest of the night flat on my back watching a Footloose marathon on tv. I was given two Tylenol with Codeine around midnight and actually felt pretty good Tuesday morning. However, about a hour after waking, I was miserable again so the doctor was contacted to do the blood patch. We had to wait a while for the doctor to come, but the procedure was pretty quick and I felt better instantly. I had to have another IV for fluids and to draw the blood and he didn't get it on the first try so I was covered in tape again. All I can say is Thank you Mr Inventor of the Blood Patch! I had to finish the IV fluids then we started packing up to go home. It was four hours later than I'd thought it would be, but we are finally home and getting settled in.
I'm holding my mom hostage for a while so I have a little help figuring out this mom to two kiddos thing while Tim is at work. Although he'd love to take some time off, it's end of the month and he's got a ton of things to do.

1 comment: