I've started the painful process of Crying It Out with Charlie. It *kills* me to hear him crying. However after I tried it the first time and he settled down and was quiet within 5 minutes, I knew this was what he needed. Up until now, I would rock and bounce him to sleep, then lay him down in his bassinet for the remainder of his nap. It took a loooong time and with Jack around to distract him, I thought if I just put him down when he starts to get fussy or starts to yawn (about an hour after eating) it might just be better for him to settle himself to sleep. At about the 5 minute mark I can't take it anymore and start to go get him, but 9 times out of 10 he'll be settled down by the time I get to the door.
I had just put Charlie down in his bassinet and he was crying when I started to type this post. It's been about 5 minutes and he's already quiet. Now it doesn't work every time. Sometimes he doesn't settle down and I need to go pat his bottom and shhh him a little bit to get him to sleep.
So far we haven't had any trouble getting him to sleep at night. We wake him at 9:30/10:00, give him a 6 ounce bottle (changing him about halfway through) swaddle him and lay him down in the bassinet awake. Within 5-10 minutes he's asleep. He starts to fight the swaddle around 2:30 each morning, so I unswaddle him, flip him on his tummy and he goes back to sleep until anywhere from 6:00 to 8:00 in the morning.
Tuesday, August 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment