Thursday, August 5, 2010

Ranger Dog

We had to put Ranger to sleep today. He hadn't been himself lately. Lots of panting, wasn't eat well {although he didn't turn down people food :-),} and was very restless. I had hoped that he was just anxious with the new baby and maybe a little Valium would settle him down, but when Tim took him to the vet this morning they found a lot of fluid on his lungs. They tried to take some xrays to see if they could get a better idea of what was going on, but there was so much fluid they couldn't get a good picture. After he was gone, they found a lot of internal tumors. He would have been 9 next Wednesday.



Although he could be frustrating at times and don't even get me started on the hair and drool, Ranger was the best goddamn dog in the world. He let Jack climb all over him and never made a peep. He'd stay locked up in the house all day and never have an accident. He kept me company while Tim was away. I really looked forward to seeing Charlie climb all over him with Jack.


Tim went to *look* at Labs one afternoon and when Ranger came bounding out of the barn he tripped over the stoop and rolled right to Tim's feet. From that moment on, Tim was a goner. We all were.

I know Ranger is in pet heaven bounding down a hill and splashing into a lake to snatch up a tennis ball or stick that someone has thrown for him. And when he gets tired, there will be a big, comfy bed for him to curl up on and rest for a while.

4 comments:

Krista said...

oh no :( i'm so sorry Heather!

Jenn said...

Oh Heather, I'm SO sorry! I know how much a part of the family Ranger was to you and Tim (and the boys too). We are thinking of you at this difficult time...

Love you.

Dan & Heather said...

Heather, SO sorry for your loss. I know personally how a pet can become such an integral part of your daily life and family.

chramy said...

You got some beautiful pictures of Ranger! I find it so hard to get any of our black dog, Blue. Breaks my heart to hear you did not get a longer time with your beloved Ranger, big hugs chica.